Prelude Come, Ye Thankful People, Come Flor Peeters
Offertory Nun danket alle Gott G. F. Kauffmann
Postlude St. George’s Windsor F. Cunningham Woods
The Recessional Hymn was written in 1844 by Henry Alford, Dean of Canterbury as a hymn for the English Harvest Festival. The second verse comes from the parable in Mark 4:26-29; the third verse, Matthew 13:24-30. The tune “St. George’s Windsor” is named for the chapel at Windsor Castle where the composer, George Elvey, was organist-choirmaster.
The prelude, where the tune is placed in the tenor on the organ krumhorn between interludes, is by Flor Peeters (1903-1986), organist for St. Rombault’s Cathedral in Mechelen, Belgium and a director at the Royal Conservatory. The postlude, with its active pedal line, is by Francis Cunningham Woods (1862-1929), composer of choral and orchestral music, teacher and choral director.
The Gradual Hymn, “Now Thank We All Our God,” is a German text written in 1636 by Martin Rinckart during the 30 Years War; its tune from 1647 by Johann Crüger. The organ offertory is by Georg Friedrich Kauffmann (1679-1735), Court Organist and Director of Church Music for the Duke of Saxe-Merseburg in Germany.